I’ve been quiet for a while. Not because I haven’t been paying attention but because work has been overwhelming and I haven’t had the time to digest what has been an unbelievably painful week.
These are just a few of the things that happened.
- There was an abhorrent Mideast “peace accord” that essentially endorsed apartheid for Palestinians and a destruction of any sense or hope for justice and sovereignty.
- Immigrants who have received assistance may not get green cards or become citizens.
- A respected journalist who was just doing her job as she said she would was slandered, abused, mocked and her news organization barred from covering the Secretary of State because she had the audacity to hold him accountable.
- A massive cut to Social Security Disability was proposed, further marginalizing the poor.
- It was revealed that the definition of abuse and domestic violence was redefined to keep those who are abused from receiving services.
- We were told that If the president thinks it is in the best interest of our country to get re-elected he can do whatever he wants to get re-elected including withholding military aid from an ally to get dirt on his opponent..
- Half the Senate thinks that even if there is evidence, documents or witnesses of an abuse of power if you close your eyes and say they don’t exist, that’s fine. A coverup in plain sight.
It is all so overwhelming and has become the new normal. So much is happening we are being deluged. Democracy is dying in our very sight.
I had held out hope when Donald Trump was elected that there would be those in the GOP who would stand up to the rank corruption but absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Don’t let this be normal. Keep the conversations going and gear up for the fall by having conversations with those who may like what is happening with their 401K but also have a moral conscience. The key to saving our nation is to take it back and return a sense of compassion and decency. To appeal to people’s better angels. No one who has a moral center thinks what President Trump and his administration have done to corrupt this country is ok. So let’s take it on, conversation by conversation and ask people if this is the America we want to be.
Because if we don’t do something, this is what we will be. And it won’t be a democracy.
“Do not weary one doing what is right, for in due season we will reap what we sow if we do not give up.” — Galatians 6:9